Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Welcome to my blog!


Welcome to my little section of the internet. As a television research director for a station in a Top 15 market, I am bombarded with new trends in the media world, and I thought I'd start this blog as a way to document my own thoughts and insights on these trends - from the point of view of a Research Director at a local TV station.

When it comes to the media world, local TV stations seem to be the bottom rung of the media ladder. We're often the last to hear of changes to programming, changes to research methodology, changes to agency assignments - changes that often can cost our station hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue. As an RD, its my job to keep abreast of these changes and help the station predict and plan so that we don't lose this revenue. In the meantime, it's also my job to be the end-all expert on what's happening on our station today - from a quantitative ratings perspective AND a qualitative demographic perspective. It's not easy. I often feel as if I'm drowing in data. I finish this short first post with the above animated gif a fellow RD sent me this morning. It pretty much sums up the job of a Research Director, more oftentimes than not.

No comments: